Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Shapeshifter



Love is an adorable firefly watching over me
It gives me a warm feeling inside
Creating small butterflies inside of me
Washing away all my worries and fears
Reminding me to smile and feel important in life

A moment later, love is monster
The gruesome monster injects its sharp teeth into my skin
Leaving deep wounds
Later, I see my own blood trickling down my skin

The blood running out of my wounds stains the plants around me
I watch as I stain the plants
And I see their frustration as they suffer from my blood
However I do not seem to be concerned

My mind is focused on what the firefly used to be before it left wounds on my skin
I see vivid flashbacks of me smiling like a delicate flower
The memories deepen my scars, allowing more blood to spill out
I continue to watch more plants around me slowly suffer

The wounds will never close
And the blood will still trickle down my skin
I watch as I hurt everything around me
And the wounds grow deeper into my skin
Reminding me that I can’t wash the blood off or erase the wounds I have

So this poem is about love and I decided to take a different approach on this idea because poets describe love as soft and gentle.  However, not a lot of people attach the idea of love to a monster


2 comments:

  1. I really liked how descriptive this is, and your idea of approaching love in a completely contradictory way makes the poem very interesting to read. The pain emitting from the poem makes it very realistic and nostalgic in a way. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete